Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thank You EC for Last Summer



Hello again,
So as I am sure you guys are aware Elmira College is big on traveling. Term Three is a time to travel abroad and study with a class and professors. But did you know that EC also helps send students abroad to intern?! Yup, they do. How do I know? - Because just this last summer I did just that.
I interned at Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas for six weeks. In fact, I got to stay right in the hotel, free of charge. Atlantis paid for my plane ride to and from Nassau and two meals a day. Oh, and I got a weekly paycheck. I know, unbelievable right? Well believe it! I am so thankful for this wonderful experience, you guys have no idea. So what exactly did I do for six weeks? Everything. I worked Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. Every week I switched departments. I worked the front desk at all five towers of the hotel, I worked in guest activities, and the sales and marketing departments. The highlights were plentiful. I really liked my week of guest activities because I got to do things like work the Fourth of July fair and work at the teen night club CRUSH. However, the absolute best week was when I worked with the Sales and Marketing team. I was given a project and I gave my opinions and they even used some of them. I found myself wanting to go to work early and stay later, when I was in my room I would think about the different projects going on. It was so nice to know that the field I am studying is enjoyable. This experience truly did confirm that I am in the right field.
So what did I do for fun? A whole lot. On the weekends I spent most of my time in the water park, riding the slides and other water rides or on the beach getting my tan on. But the high point of my free time was swimming with dolphins! It was amazing. I got the deep water experience where I had a hand water scooter and swam next to a baby dolphin. I also got to feed them and had my picture taken with a dolphin named Isis. I even got the signature foot push. In a word, the experience was amazing. This is something I will never forget and tell everyone and anyone to do it.
So yup, that's how I spent my summer 2011. And I have to thank the combined efforts of Atlantis and Elmira College.

No comments:

Post a Comment